Halloumi and white beans baked in a rich, smoky, Spanish inspired tomato sauce! This is a simple but stunning one pot vegetarian meal that is on the table in just 30 minutes. With lots of different serving suggestions, you will never tire of making this amazing halloumi bake for dinner.
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- A few pinches of chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 400g (14oz) tin of white beans (I used butter beans, but cannellini beans or chickpeas work well too)
- 800g (28oz) of whole plum tinned tomatoes (that’s two normal sized tins)
- 500g (8.8oz) of halloumi cheese, sliced lengthways and then widthways into slabs
- Parsley or coriander, to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200C / 390F. In a shallow casserole dish, heat some olive oil and gently saute your sliced garlic until it’s starting to brown.
Add the smoked paprika and oregano and stir for a moment until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, sugar and red wine vinegar.
Stir the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse the butter beans, then add to the sauce.
Remove from the heat and arrange the halloumi on top of the sauce.
Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes until bubbling. If you want to get the halloumi browned on top, turn on the grill / broiler for the last 5 minutes.
Keywords: halloumi bake, tomato halloumi bake