Is it just me or are those packages of freshly prepared tortellini that you get at the supermarket in those “Dinner for two for a Fiver” scenarios, those packages which are specifically designed to serve two… woefully inadequate at serving two? It’s just… when I eat a pasta dish, I really want a big steaming bowl of it to dig into.
But for some reason, filled pasta is universally under-portioned. In a restaurant, you will receive at least 50% less in volume if you opt for the ravioli or the tortellini or the mezzaluna- even when there is no sauce! Even when there’s just a little bit of butter and sage. The person with the carbonara gets twice as much pasta and cream! Why? WHYYY?
So here we go. When you have a package of tortellini that fails to serve two, you need a side dish. In this case, it was a salad. But instead of making tortellini and a salad, I decide to give tortellini salad a try. And what a great idea this was. I came out of this feeling just as satisfied as if it were all pasta. Serving it while the tortellini is still warm, and drenched in a herby Italian dressing, keeps it filling and interesting. Some garlic bread on the side would have made this absolute perfection.Print
- Italian Dressing Ingredients…
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried mustard powder
- 2 tblsps red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60mls) each of extra virgin olive oil and something more mild (or just use 1/2 cup of plain olive oil)
- 2 Tblsps of fresh minced basil
- 1 Tblsps fresh minced parsley
- 1/4 each of dried marjoram and dried oregano
- Salad Ingredients…
- 1 250g pack of freshly prepared spinach and ricotta tortellini
- A few handfuls of fresh spinach, rinsed and drained
- 1 can artichokes, rinsed and chopped
- A couple large tomatoes, chopped
- A couple of handfuls of black olives
- About a quarter of a small red onion, minced
- Prepare your dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in container and shaking together, or use an emulsifying blade and whizz it through a food processor.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl, then toss most of the dressing through but reserve about half a cups worth.
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions- drain, put back in the pan and add the remaining dressing. Toss together before adding the tortellini to the salad.
Amounts here are extremely flexible- keep the balance as you like it.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sources: The dressing is based on Martha Stewart’s Fresh Italian Dressing.