strawberry cupcakes with coconut dark chocolate ganache
For the cupcakes
- 80g (2.8oz or 1/3 cup) of butter
- 280g (9.9oz or 1 1/3 cups + 1 Tblsp) of caster sugar
- 240g (8.5oz or 2 cups) of flour
- 3 tsps of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 240ml (1 cup) of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g (7oz) of strawberries
For the ganache
- 60ml (1/4 cup) of coconut milk
- 200g (7oz) of dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
- A couple drops of vanilla extract
- 1 Tblsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 a strawberry for each cupcake
To make the cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C / 340F
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until the butter has dispersed.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and continue to mix. It will form a sandy, crumbly consistency.
- Add about half of the milk and mix until a sticky dough-like consistency is formed.
- In the measuring jug, quickly whisk the remaining milk with the vanilla and eggs.
- Pour the milk/eggs mix into the bowl slowly, with the mixers running on a slow setting, until fully incorporated into the batter.
- Chop the strawberries into small chunks. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove some of the excess moisture.
- Toss the strawberries with a spoonful of flour to coat them. This helps to stop them floating to the bottom of the cupcakes.
- Add the strawberries into the batter.
- Spoon into cases in your cupcake or muffin tray. Fill them 2/3rds of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden and springy. (20 minutes if you make smaller cupcakes)
- Leave to cool down entirely before topping with the ganache.
To make the ganache
- In a double broiler (or two pans nested together, with boiling water in the bottom pan and the top pan held slightly above the water), melt the chocolate and coconut milk together, using a silicone spatula to scrape down the sides regularly. When it's all melted and smooth, add the vanilla and oil. The oil will help to give it a nice sheen.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled down, pour a couple spoonfuls of ganache atop each cake. It will be runny and will pool within the cases, but don't worry, after a few hours it will set a little bit.
- Place a half strawberry on top of each cupcake.
Recipe by Happy Veggie Kitchen at https://www.happyveggiekitchen.com/strawberry-cupcakes/