Halloumi Couscous Salad
A tasty and filling couscous halloumi salad packed with protein, fresh ingredients and summer flavors. Filling and rounded enough for a meal, but also great as a side dish or small plate.
- 225 g (8 oz) block of halloumi, cut into cubes or strips
- 250 g (8 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120 g (¾ cup) dried couscous
- 8 Tbsp (½ cup) prepared pesto*
- A couple handfuls of fresh washed rocket**
- 3-4 Tbsp hummus, heaped
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 4 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Handful of chopped fresh basil
Prepare your couscous according to package instructions.
Once it's ready, fluff with a fork and add about half of the pesto, a couple spoonfuls at a time, until it's nicely coated.
Toss the couscous in a large bowl with the rocket and cherry tomatoes. Add more pesto until everything is coated to your liking.
Pan fry your halloumi in olive oil until golden and crisp.
Add the halloumi to the top of the couscous mix.
Add dollops of hummus to the top of the salad and scatter with pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and basil.
*This is very approximate, you may want more or less based on how oily or how chunky your pesto is.
I love this with kale pesto! To make that, blend the following ingredients:
** I use a 50g bag of rocket - that's about 1.75 oz.
- Handful of kale leaves
- Handful of basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp cashews
- 4 Tbsp of grated parmesan
- Extra virgin olive oil - add it to the blender a little at a time until you get the desired texture
Serving: 1g, Calories: 315kcal, Carbohydrates: 18g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 13mg, Sodium: 326mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g