Caprese style wraps cooked in the air fryer! Oozing with melty mozzarella, pesto and cherry tomatoes, these are sure to be a crowd pleaser. Tik Tok style folded wraps are incredibly versatile, and make for a quick and easy lunch option!
Have you tried the famed Tik Tok wraps? I am a big fan of this style of wrap making, and the shape is perfectly suited to even the most compact air fryers.
Similar to my air fryer veggie sandwich, the beauty of this approach is that you can pile it high without worrying that it will all smush out as you press it on a frying pan, and it won’t matter if you fold it up a little uneven or one of the quadrants is lumpy. It mostly stays the shape it is, and comes out a melty, crispy version of how it went in.
If you want to use this idea, you can make any wrap you like. But this recipe I am sharing with you today is a tasty vegetarian classic with melty mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, rocket, aka arugula, and red onions – all piled onto a base of creamy, tasty pesto. You just can’t go wrong with a caprese style filling. It is universally loved.
How to Prepare a Folded Wrap
You want to cut a slit halfway up the wrap, then you mentally divide the wrap into four quarters and put different toppings* in each quarter before folding it up as pictured.
As you can see, this was huge and unwieldy, and trying to cook it in a frying pan would have been a mess.
*As you can see, I actually double up on the mozzarella here, because half a ball of mozzarella doesn’t keep all that well, so I just want to use the whole ball in one go. If you are making two wraps you could do half a ball of mozzarella for each and another cheese in the other quarter, if you like.
How to Air Fry Wraps
It’s as simple as popping them in, and popping them out again, with the slight caveat that when you’re making them in this folded style, it’s a good idea to weight them down. Otherwise, the air could blow the top layer of the tortilla up and cause mayhem. I used a skewer rack from the air fryer accessories pack – it works a treat!
For me, 6 minutes at 180C / 360F was what made the most sense in my Philips Air Fryer. Enough to melt the mozzarella, not enough to burn the wrap. All air fryers are going to perform a little differently so I’d check in at the 5 minute mark and see where you’re at.
Variations on this Mozzarella Wrap…
- As I mentioned before, because I don’t like to save half of a ball of mozzarella, I double up on the mozzarella in this recipe. But if I were making two wraps, I’d probably use half the mozzarella in each and then add feta or an Italian hard cheese to another quarter.
- Sliced large tomatoes rather than cherry tomatoes; just fine.
- In the recipe pictured I used straightforward jarred basil pesto. It is soooo good with fresh pesto though, I had it many times with my cavolo nero pesto when I had a big batch to use up.
- Adding olives to the layer with lettuce and onion would be an excellent idea.
… But remember you can do your own thing with these air fryer wraps!
While I love making this mozzarella and tomato version, the beauty of this recipe is that there are so so so many ways you could hack a delicious lunch together with the contents of your fridge! And that is the beauty of it. Whatever cheeses, veggies, sauces you have – can all find a home here. Leftover chili, leftover fajita mix, leftover beans – all viable options. Any quesadilla recipe can be adapted and you can add dips and sauces to your heart’s delight.
Air Fryer Wraps with Mozzarella & Pesto (Folded Tik Tok Style)
- 1 large wrap
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 handful sliced lettuce or arugula (rocket)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- A few thin slices of red onion
- 1 Tbsp chives, optional
- Prepare your wrap by cutting a slit halfway up the tortilla
- Spread pesto across the entire base, and then add the other fillings across the base, sectioning them by quarter.
- Fold the wrap by lifting the bottom left section up and over the top left…
- …and then across to the other side…
- … and then back down.
- Place in an air fryer, spritz or brush with oil, and then weigh or pin it down.
- Air fry at 180C for 6 minutes, or until the wrap is golden and the cheese is melted.