A vegetarian halloumi salad with a Mexican twist, this is a filling bowl that you can make a meal out of! With a creamy, herby avocado dressing and deliciously seasoned fried halloumi cheese, this protein packed meatless lunch will not leave you hungry.
The halloumi salad is a staple vegetarian option in pubs and restaurants, and rarely do I meet it with any enthusiasm. Despite my absolute devotion to halloumi cheese, the salads on offer aren’t always very imaginative or filling.
In this salad, we have fresh crispy lettuce and veggies to satisfy your craving for a summery salad, but to make sure it’s a properly filling meal there’s also black beans, avocado, and fried halloumi in abundance.
That’s more like it!
The creamy dressing is avocado based with lots of zingy flavour from lime and spring onion.
And all in all, I’d say we have everything we need for a successful lunch or light dinner right here in this bowl.
Finally a lower carb recipe around here!
I love carbs and will not hear a bad word against them, but I have been asked on occasion if I can recommend lower carb recipes. I know that’s important to some of you.
So here ya go! This one is lower in carbs than anything I’ve put out in a while (though beans are carby, this is not some kind of keto-esque situation).
If you can’t find halloumi, you could use some farmer’s cheese or paneer in its place, though it will be less salty so be generous with the seasonings.
If you want to make this salad vegan, try this recipe for vegan halloumi!
Other ingredients that would work well in this salad: sweetcorn, artichokes, grated carrot, beetroot or cucumber would fit in seamlessly.
For me, a crispy lettuce leaf is essential for summer salads, but that’s just my personal preference. If you’d rather use something more nutritious like spinach or a bagged mixed green salad for a base, go right ahead, and it will save you some time.
Fried Halloumi & Black Bean Salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 250 g (8.8 oz) halloumi cheese, sliced into squares or strips
- 2 tsps of fajita or taco seasoning, or to taste
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Optional toppings: chopped spring onion / green onion, fresh cilantro / coriander to mix in
- ½ an avocado
- 1 spring onion / green onion*
- 1 big handful fresh cilantro / coriander
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- First prepare your dressing by blending all ingredients until smooth.
- Combine your lettuce, beans, peppers, and tomato in a bowl. Toss to combine. You can dress the salad in the bowl now, or save it to drizzle on top.
- Fry your halloumi. Heat a layer of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add halloumi to the pan, sprinkle with fajita or taco seasoning, and fry until golden on each side, turning regularly so that it doesn’t burn.
- Dish your salad into bowls and top with the halloumi. Drizzle with the dressing if you didn’t include it directly in the bowl, and top with the extra coriander / cilantro and spring onion.