These easy vegetarian lentil tacos are ready in under 30 minutes! The lentils are deliciously spiced and smoky, with fresh tangy mozzarella and creamy avocado to top it off. Using canned green lentils makes this recipe come together quickly and easily, for a healthy 30 minute dinner. Recipe video provided below.
Sometimes you really have better things to do on your weeknights than cooking up a nice dinner, and even though I am a food blogger, I soooo get that right now. Lately I am in such a cozy, slanket-wearing, box-set bingeing kind of place. So I am very focused on easy recipes right now. Easy, do-able, recipes, but still yummy and interesting! And these lentil tacos really fit the bill.
I’ve been on a bit of a lentil kick lately (Exhibit A, Exhibit B), so imagine my joy when I saw lentil tacos with buffalo mozzarella on the menu at the lovely Granger & Co, where I recently enjoyed a girls night out. Like so many brilliant food concepts, it’s really simple, so recreating the tacos at home was a breeze, despite my slumpish mood.
Making these lentil tacos for dinner gives you the chance to eat well and make a healthy dent in your Netflix list, all in the same night. #winning
How to make these lentil tacos
To keep this under 30 minutes you need pre-cooked lentils from a can or a pouch. Then you just heat them up in a saucepan with some flavorings, and serve with tortillas (mine are cactus tortillas, hence the green tinge!), torn mozzarella, avocado and herbs.
To spice the lentils I use smoked paprika because that’s what I use for everything, but if you have a preferred smoky chili powder, use that!Print
These easy vegetarian lentil tacos are ready in under 30 minutes! The lentils are deliciously spiced and smoky, with fresh tangy mozzarella and creamy avocado to top it off. Using canned green lentils makes this recipe come together quickly and easily, for a healthy 30 minute dinner.
- 6-8 soft taco shells
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella (125g or 4.4oz), torn into small pieces – if you don’t want to splurge on buffalo mozzarella, any fresh mozzarella (the kind that is stored in water) or bocconcini will work here
- Herbs (cilantro, chives or sliced green onions work well here)
Lentil Taco Filling
- Olive oil
- 2 cups of cooked green lentils
- 1/2 of a small red onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsps of smoked paprika and/or your favorite chili powder (feel free to mix it up but it’s great to have something smoky in the mix!)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Splash of liquid smoke
- 2 Tblsps of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60mls) of water
- Salt and pepper
How to make the lentil taco filling
- In a large wok or skillet, sautee your onions and garlic in olive oil, until soft and fragrant.
- Add smoked paprika and cumin and cook for another minute before adding in your cooked lentils, tomato paste, soy sauce, liquid smoke, red wine vinegar and water.
- The sauce will be thick and bubbly. Cook over low heat for around 15 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
- The texture is up to you. Add more water and tomato puree if you’d prefer a more loose, saucy mixture – less water if you’d prefer the lentils to be thicker.
Add a scoop of lentils, a scattering of avocado and mozzarella, and a handful of herbs to each tortilla. Enjoy!
Get creative with your toppings! Olives or avocado salsa would work well here too.
- Calories: 611
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 74 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 29.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg