A pub food favourite made in your air fryer, these truffle cheese fries are a decadent treat – crispy, cheesy, and finger licking good. You’ll be delighted at how easily you can make these luxurious fries at home! A perfect side dish with sandwiches, burgers or eggs!
Despite all my talk about air fryers not just being for fries… it’s not like they aren’t for fries. So here we go, I have made my point and now I’m going to cave and share a recipe for air fryer fries.
Slathered in cheese and truffle oil. Because if you’re going to the effort… go alllll the way.
This is pub food for the days when pubs aren’t open, and boy do I miss pubs. Before all the closures I was appreciating how much pubs were embracing Beyond Burgers and starting to give us vegetarians burger options that weren’t weird and dry. And, if we were lucky, serving them with truffle cheese fries.
I miss pub food, and I know we’ll meet again soon, but every now and again we turn to the air fryer for help in recreating the good stuff at home.
How to Make Them
Let’s just discuss our goals with these fries. We want them as crispy as possible, but also covered in a layer of melted gooey stringy cheese which makes them all stick together a little. Yes?
I chose gruyere cheese for this recipe because it melts nicely and elevates the flavour, but you could use parmesan or another hard cheese. Just check in after 2 minutes because some cheeses melt more quickly than others. Particularly if you’re using a vegan cheese, they have different melting qualities.
A full printable recipe card is at the end of the post, but here’s a quick demo first:
Do I need to cook them in batches?
I don’t, but you could. If you’re taking your air fryer fries very seriously, you wouldn’t let your fries overlap in the basket and you would have to make them in batches.
You can certainly take the time to do that with this recipe, making them in two batches and then throwing them all together at the end to melt the cheese in.
I’m just not going to bother. I find that melting oily cheese on top of crispy fries has an inevitable softening effect anyway and I am happy with the compromise.
It’s a messy, imperfect plate but boy does it taste good.
Air Fryer Truffle Cheese Fries
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Handful of grated gruyere cheese, about 60g / just under 1 cup very loosely packed
- 2 tsps truffle oil*
- Optional herbs for garnish – parsley and/or chives
- Slice your potatoes into fries. I personally leave the skins on but you could peel them if you prefer. Soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes, then either air dry them or use paper towels to pat them thoroughly dry. Toss in olive oil ensuring each fry is coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180C / 360F. Once heated, spritz a little oil into the basket and then pour the fries in.
- Cook for 25 minutes. In this time, go in and shake the fries in the basket a few times.
- They’re ready once they are fully cooked through and browned.
- Sprinkle on some salt if desired, then add the cheese on top of the fries and put back into the air fryer for about 4 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Drizzle the truffle oil to the top and shake to distribute it before using a spatula to get the fries out of the fryer basket and onto a plate.