An easy recipe for broccoli fritters containing just four ingredients. The simple tastes of broccoli and cheddar cheese are just perfect in this recipe, but you can also add other flavor boosts if you like. A delicious, healthy and kid friendly snack. These fritters are also perfect for baby led weaning, to introduce broccoli to your baby or toddler.
Broccoli is one of our favorite vegetables, and it is one which I generally feel no need to dress up. One thing I am finding with this blog is that my favorite foods don’t necessarily feature much because they don’t require the same creative cooking as the foods I’m lukewarm on. They are less of a project. I can quite happily eat broccoli sauteed in olive oil and garlic, tossed with pasta, just like that.
(Bizarrely, Mr. can eat any vegetable like that. Any of them. What’s up with that?!?)
So this week I was unpacking our vegetable box delivery and came across two heads of broccoli, so I decided I could do some experimenting, and try making fritters with a little bit of cheddar cheese, because broccoli and cheddar are just so perfect together. It’s worth using a strong vintage cheddar here for maximum flavor.
It’s not too experimental though- only four ingredients stand between you and these fritters and the dominant flavour is the broccoli. We appreciated the simplicity, but they can also be dressed up with the addition of a more exotic cheese, or perhaps some chili or olives.
Four Ingredient Broccoli & Cheddar Fritters
- 1 small broccoli head, or 1/2 large one
- 1 egg white
- 1 handful grated cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp plain white flour
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- First, loosely chop and steam your broccoli for a few minutes until it is soft but still al dente.
- On a chopping board, cut the cooked broccoli into very small pieces.
- Place in a bowl and add the egg white. Using a spoon, mix the egg white through the broccoli mix as much as you can. Add the flour and cheese, and continue to mix together. Use the spoon to smoosh it all together- it will start to stick together and form a batter, although it should be a very chunky one that holds together, but only just.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan- enough to cover the bottom, but no more. When it is hot enough that a tiny piece of batter will sizzle, drop in the fritter dough in 4 lumps. After a couple of minutes, flip with a spatula and cook on the other side. Cook until both sides are nicely browned.
- Remove from the oil and let sit on some paper towel for a few minutes to soak up the grease, before dishing up.
Source: adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s broccoli parmesan fritters