An easy recipe for broccoli fritters containing just four ingredients. The simple tastes of broccoli and cheddar cheese are just perfect in this recipe, but you can also add other flavor boosts if you like. A delicious, healthy and kid friendly snack. These fritters are also perfect for baby led weaning, to introduce broccoli to your baby or toddler.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and has been updated in 2023 with changes to the title + the content of the post has been rewritten. The recipe itself has stayed the same.
Broccoli is one of the first vegetables many parents try out for their babies, and these fritters are a really fun way to introduce broccoli! Whether you’ve already had success with a broccoli puree and want to move on to whole broccoli, or if you’re trying baby led weaning and want to give your baby their broccoli in a way that is easy to hold and gum down on, these fritters are well worth a try.
This recipe makes a batch of 5 small fritters so that whoever else is around can enjoy them too! While they’re designed to be very plain, you can easily split the batter and jazz up the half that isn’t for the baby with some flavor boosters if you wish.
Ingredient Notes (there’s only four!)
- Broccoli – you want to cut the florets from one small-medium head of broccoli. Really try to isolate the florets and don’t leave too much stem, in order to keep the fritters soft.
- Cheddar cheese – because broccoli and cheddar are just so perfect together. It’s worth using a strong vintage cheddar here for maximum flavor.
- Flour – plain flour for binding.
- Egg white – just the white, as we don’t really need a full egg’s worth.
Variations & Serving Suggestions
- With only four ingredients, the dominant flavour is definitely the broccoli. I actually appreciate the simplicity, but they can also be dressed up with the addition of a more exotic cheese, garlic, chili, olives, spices or truffle oil for an adult portion.
- I like to serve these with a light dip such as tzatziki. Other ideas would be baba ganoush, pesto, pureed avocado or any other dip baby might enjoy.
- Slice these into strips if serving to a younger baby who can’t hold an entire fritter.
More Baby Led Weaning Meals to try
Broccoli Fritters for Babies, Toddlers & Kids
- 1 small head broccoli
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (60 g) grated cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp plain white flour
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- First, loosely chop and steam your broccoli for a few minutes until it is soft but still a little bit al dente. You could go further and get them extra soft if making for a very young baby.
- On a chopping board, cut the cooked broccoli into very small pieces.
- Place in a bowl and add the egg white. Using a spoon, mix the egg white through the broccoli mix as much as you can. Add the flour and cheese, and continue to mix together. Use the spoon to smoosh it all together- it will start to stick together and form a batter, although it should be a very chunky one that holds together, but only just.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan- enough to cover the bottom, but no more. When it is hot enough that a tiny piece of batter will sizzle, drop in the fritter dough in 4 lumps. After a couple of minutes, flip with a spatula and cook on the other side. Cook until both sides are nicely browned.
- Remove from the oil and let sit on some paper towel for a few minutes to soak up the grease, before serving with a sauce or dip of your choosing.
Source: adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s broccoli parmesan fritters