An epic halloumi sandwich with smoky maple halloumi strips! This vegetarian BLT style sandwich piles up strips of smoky, crispy maple glazed halloumi, topped with crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes. If you want to up your meatless sandwich game, look no further than this halloumi sandwich recipe!
👩🍳 Christine’s Notes: This is my Ultimate Vegetarian BLT
So, no, halloumi isn’t bacon and no one will be fooled into thinking that it is. But if you’re after that combination of smoky, sweet, crispy and fatty… well, I think you could do worse than this halloumi! Cooked in a smoky, garlicky maple glaze, it is given a huge flavor and texture upgrade. In this recipe I have fashioned it into a simple BLT inspired sandwich with crisp lettuce, sliced summer heirloom tomato, and truffle mayo.
This is a pretty filling sandwich for lunch, and pairs well with some fries, soup, or salad for a larger meal.
My Tops Tips for Halloumi Sandwich Making
- My recipe is for 4 slices of halloumi, which fill up one sandwich made with larger bread, or allow you to double stack on a sandwich roll. I only ended up using 3 of those slices when I assembled the sandwich in the photos because my loaf of choice today is on the smaller side.
- I love to mix a few drops of truffle oil into my mayo, which is a step worth taking if you have truffle oil in the house. Otherwise feel free to try any other flavored mayos or sandwich spreads you might have.
- If you’d like to really ramp up the maple flavor, add another teaspoon or two of maple syrup to the pan once the halloumi is finished cooking. Let it bubble and form a sticky glaze over the halloumi. You will get a stronger maple hit which is amazing, but it does diminish the crispiness of the halloumi, so that’s the trade off.
- Avocado and sliced red onion are both great additions to this sandwich!
Smoky Maple Halloumi Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 3-4 slices halloumi cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise, mix in a few drops of truffle oil of you can
- 3-4 leaves lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- Whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, garlic and smoked paprika and then pour it over the halloumi slices in a dish or bowl. Allow it to marinate in the fridge for a little while – 15 minutes will do, but give it longer if you can.
- Heat a pan with just a little bit of oil at the bottom. Add the halloumi slices and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. I like to pour a little extra marinade onto the halloumi slices when I first flip them over to make sure they are as rich and maple-y as possible!
- Now assemble your sandwich. Spread the mayo over each slice of bread, then arrange the halloumi slices on top. You can pour a little bit of extra maple marinade over them if you wish.
- Add the lettuce and tomato, close and slice. Serve immediately.