Elevate your fries with grated manchego and fragrant truffle oil! This is a fun snack or side dish when you are craving pub food and want something a little sophisticated. I make these with air fried frozen fries but you can use it alongside your favorite homemade fries recipe if you prefer.
Crispy fries tossed with cheese and truffle oil is a tried and tested concept. But today we’re branching out on the cheese and trying our fries with manchego instead of the usual parmesan.
Manchego is a Spanish cheese made from sheep’s milk, and it’s got a fairly mild, nutty flavor that is great alongside truffle oil (though you can make manchego fries without truffle oil if you prefer). Its hard texture is similar to parmesan, but softer. The creaminess against the crispiness of the fries = perfection.
- Frozen fries: Quality frozen fries will always be the easiest way to get this dish on the table, but you’re welcome to prepare yours from raw potatoes if you wish (I have a recipe for air fryer fries from scratch if that helps). I like to use chunkier fries for this recipe, but skinny fries work too.
- Manchego cheese: Easy to find in most large supermarkets including Aldi.
- Truffle Oil: I use Truffle Hunter brand which is simply the best I’ve found, and super potent.
- Garlic mayonnaise: or another sauce of your choosing.
Additional topping ideas
These fries have plenty of great flavor from the manchego and truffle oil, but the sky is the limit here!
- Fresh parsley adds a nice pop of color.
- I also like to lean into the Spanish feel by adding some smoked chili flakes.
- Tossing a couple cloves of sauteed diced garlic in with the fries is another great boost, and I would definitely advise doing this if you aren’t using a garlic mayo sauce.
More fun with fries
Manchego Truffle Fries
- 60 g (½ cup) manchego, grated
- 500 g (1 lb) frozen fries
- 1 tsp truffle oil, or to taste
- garlic mayonnaise, to taste
- Cook the fries according to package instructions. As soon as the fries are ready, place them in a large mixing bowl and add salt to taste.
- Slowly drizzle the truffle oil over the fries, tossing regularly to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Add most of the grated manchego, reserving some for topping, and toss to combine and get as many fries as possible covered in the cheese.
- Pour into a serving dish and add the remaining manchego to the top.
- Add the sauce and any additional garnishes. Serve.