Crispy, gooey and incredibly tasty – this air fryer croissant sandwich is a breeze to make and has infinite possibilities. Using an air fryer to reheat a croissant can perfectly restore its flaky, buttery goodness, so this is the perfect way to use up some older or stale croissants!
👩🍳 Christine’s Notes – Why you should be air frying all the croissants
Using croissants to make sandwiches is nothing new, but air frying those croissants? Game changer!
Reheating a croissant in the air fryer will make it turn all warm and crispy again, so this is the perfect way to use up older or stale croissants. It brings them back to life and gives you melty warm fillings without having to flatten the croissant (like if you used a frying pan or a sandwich press).
For me, a simple slice of cheese and some tomato is the perfect simple croissant sandwich but there’s so many other ways you could make this (I have a list of ideas for you a little further down). The important thing to remember is how buttery and delicious the croissant will become after being warmed up – so you just don’t need to overload it with toppings or sauces. Less is more!
🥐 Tips for air frying your croissant sandwiches
- Don’t just assemble the sandwich and put it in whole – the cheese won’t melt. You need to slice it open, place the cheese on top, and air fry it still open. This ensures the cheese gets exposure to the convection heat and actually melts. You can then close it back up when it comes out.
- I keep the temperature somewhat low – we want the cheese to melt but we don’t want the croissant to burn or dry out too much. I find that 170C (340F) is the right balance.
More Filling Ideas for Croissant Sandwiches
- For breakfast: Melt cheese in your croissant, then add a fried or scrambled egg.
- Sweet: Nutella + strawberries or banana + peanut butter?
- Mushroom Swiss: Air fry some mushrooms, then add them to a sandwich with swiss cheese.
- Brie and cranberry sauce: Make sure to slice the brie quite thin.
More Air Fryer Basics
Air Fryer Croissant Sandwiches
- 1 croissant
- 1 slice cheese, something melty such as gouda or swiss work best
- 2-3 slices tomato
- Preheat the air fryer to 170C / 340F.
- Slice your croissant down one side and open it up. Lay flat, add the sliced cheese across both sides and tomatoes across one side.
- Air fry for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the croissant is warmed through.
- Remove from the air fryer and fold the croissant back together. Serve immediately.