These kid friendly sweet potato nachos will win you over! Baked sweet potato rounds are loaded with tasty barbecue lentils, melty cheese and guacamole for an amazing snack or appetizer!
Are you rolling your eyes at me right now? Like, how many lentil recipes and how many potato nacho recipes can a person do.
What can I say? Right now, I am obsessed with lentils, obsessed with sweet potatoes and obsessed with healthy nacho concepts. And this is where they all meet. This is, like, the ultimate recipe to express my 2015 state of mind.
And can we just take a moment to appreciate that I am obsessed with lentils? Because that is weird. This is who my 9 year old self wanted to become when she turned vegetarian, and it has taken 23 years. 23 YEARS! to get here. So, yay for lentils.
Lentils are just fantastic in places where meat would usually be. In this recipe, they go super melty and barbequey. They are perfect over the baked sweet potato “nacho” rounds. Other toppings include havarti cheese (so melty!), black beans, guacamole, green onions and greek yogurt (..or sour cream. I freakin’ love sour cream but I am determined to love greek yogurt more. I’ll get there.)
This recipe involves guidance on quantities, but nachos are one of those very personal dishes where everyone likes different proportions of toppings so just roll with it, and do as you please!
Lentil Sweet Potato Nachos
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups (475 g) cooked green lentils
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 1-2 avocados
- 1-2 tsps lime juice
- ½ cup (85 g) cooked black beans
- 1 cup (230 g) shredded cheese, I used havarti
- 1 handful sliced green onions, optional
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 Tbsp greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Make the potato nachos by slicing the sweet potatoes into thin rounds. Brush with oil and arrange onto a baking sheet, ensuring they do not overlap. Bake at 200C / 400F for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- While they are in the oven, prepare the lentil topping. In a saucepan, heat a little olive oil and stir fry the cooked lentils a little bit to heat them up. Stir in the barbecue sauce and simmer over a low heat until absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, taste, and add more sauce if you like.
- Mash the avocados with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to make a simple guacamole.
- Once the sweet potato rounds are finished, assemble the nachos on a smaller tray or a skillet. Arrange the sweet potato rounds into a mound and spoon the lentil mixture on top (you may have leftovers). Sprinkle the shredded cheese and black beans on top.
- Place under the grill / broiler until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Now top with your chopped tomatoes and green onions, and spoon the yogurt and guacamole on top.
- Dive in!