Healthy and nourishing, this quick vegetarian ramen packs in a variety of flavors and textures with shiitake mushrooms, kale and avocado! Taking only 20 minutes to prepare, it’s an easy and healthy dinner. Can be made vegan or gluten free when using the appropriate noodles.
This veggie ramen is the first recipe I photographed after the arrival of Odette, when she was two months old (and yes it’s taken me this long to get it up here!) She was napping in her swing and Mr. Veggie was home as back-up, so I grabbed the opportunity to make a quick lunch – a distinct change from my usual lunchtime routine of shoving spoonfuls of peanut butter and nutella in my mouth during the brief moments that she would allow. Ahhhh, newborns.
So this super quick ramen can be made in 20 minutes. First, you will get your broth going with lots of garlic and shiitake mushrooms for flavor. Dried shiitakes work great here for adding umami to the broth very quickly. While that broth is simmering, you will quickly braise some kale and chop an avocado. The noodles will cook in the broth, then you’ll plate it up and slurp away.
If you have more time, simmer the broth longer of course – it will taste better for it. You just don’t have to if you’re rushed / tired / lazy / wondering if your baby is about to wake up.
Shiitake Vegetarian Ramen with Sesame Kale & Avocado
Yield 2 servings
Healthy and nourishing, this quick vegetarian ramen packs in a variety of flavors and textures with shiitake mushrooms, kale and avocado! Taking only 20 minutes to prepare, it's an easy and healthy dinner. Can be made vegan or gluten free when using the appropriate noodles.
- 125g (two nests) of fine egg noodles (soba or rice noodles also work well; some are heavier than others so just use two individual portions)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 cloves or garlic, sliced
- 15-20 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Tblsps soy sauce
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 big handfuls of chopped kale
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 Tblsps sesame seeds
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Prepare the broth. Add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer.
- Prepare the kale. In a saucepan or wok, stir fry the kale in vegetable oil on a high heat until wilted and crispy. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, and toasted sesame seeds. Cook until the lemon has been absorbed and then remove from the heat, and drizzle in the toasted sesame oil for flavor.
- Check the broth. Add additional soy sauce if required.
- Add noodles to the broth and allow to cook for the amount of time required.
- Plate up! Add the noodles to the bowl, then pour over the broth. Add the kale and chopped avocado on top.
- Garnish with some black pepper, and chives or green / spring onions if you like.
This recipe serves two - scale up if you're feeding a family!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19.1 g
Total Carbohydrates 51.5 g
Protein 10.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.