A warm broccoli salad with the most delicious creamy Caesar dressing! The addition of roasted chickpeas, avocado and garlic toast make this an easy and healthy 30 minute meal that comes together very easily. If you’re looking for a warm vegetarian salad with a touch of decadence, this is the recipe to try.
Is this a totally weird concept? Maybe, but I happen to think it’s a genius one.
Mr. Veggie was really skeptical when I told him we were having a warm broccoli salad for dinner, though he had the good grace to pretend to be excited and only confess his reservations after trying and LOVING it.
When you can put together a big bowl of broccoli and beans and think it’s the most amazing dinner ever, you’re on to something good. I am ridiculously enthusiastic about this broccoli recipe, and that is not normal behavior for me. Like, at all.
I think warm salads might be my new favorite thing. I guess a warm salad is similar to a “bowl” recipe. I dunno. But it’s a good way for me to focus on recipes that do not start with carbs as the base.
You will remember this approach from my Roasted Kale Caesar Salad. The recipes are very similar. Same method, same dressing. But I felt like trying it with broccoli, and then I felt like the broccoli version deserved its own moment.
How to make this warm broccoli caesar salad
So, the broccoli and chickpeas are roasted – the best way to prepare either of these ingredients if you ask me. They roast together in one pan, no fuss.
Halfway through their cooking time you add your garlic baguette. To the same pan. I said no fuss!
Meanwhile, you will prepare your dressing. The dressing is, of course, what makes the dish. It is soooo good, and its creamy and cheesy qualities pair perfectly with broccoli. It gets into every little crevice.
The Yummiest Ever Vegetarian Caesar Dressing
We keep it vegetarian by using capers instead of anchovies, and it’s yogurt based which is a healthier swap and yet somehow even more delicious. There’s a good amount of cheese in the dressing but that is not enough to stop this from being a really balanced and healthy dinner (by my standards anyway).
The dressing is easily made in a blender, hand blender or mini food processor while the other ingredients are in the oven.
Once the broccoli and chickpeas are ready, you throw them together with some avocado and your Caesar dressing, and serve alongside your garlic toasts.
Your feast awaits!
Warm Broccoli, Avocado & Chickpea Caesar Salad
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 can chickpeas, 14oz or 400g, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices of baguette
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup (60 g) full fat greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, or half a lemon’s yield
- 2 Tbsp of grated parmesan cheese, or parmesan style cheese – see notes
- ½ Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp of capers
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C / 390F.
- Brush a large skillet or shallow casserole dish with olive oil. Spread the chickpeas and broccoli florets over the pan and spray or brush a little more oil on top to cover. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Prepare your garlic toasts. Slice the baguette lengthwise. Sprinkle crushed garlic on top and then brush or spray with olive oil.
- After the broccoli and chickpeas have been in the oven for 15 minutes, open the oven and place the garlic toasts in the pan to cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Now prepare your dressing by blending all of the ingredients with a hand blender or mini food processor.
- When the broccoli and chickpeas are done, remove from the oven and spoon out into a bowl. Top with avocado and dressing, and toss to combine.
- Garnish with additional grated parmesan cheese, if desired.