A recent busy spell at work has had a knock on effect with our weekend brunches, because I no longer spend as much time during the week considering what groceries we’re going to need for the recipes I want to try, ordering them, and generally being organized.
So Saturday morning ends up with me scouring the fridge for inspiration and coming up with one idea. Always the same. Based on two things that we always, always have in the house. Egg and chips.
Egg and chips is great, a British classic, especially when you have a bottle of restaurant strength truffle oil to posh up the chips with. But repetition is a bad habit for a food blogger to get into, so this week I forced myself to think outside the box and try to use up a pepper that needed to be used up.
This was the result… A roasted pepper filled with cheesy polenta, topped with a poached egg and some smoked paprika mayonnaise. Deeeelicious.
(We have truffle chips on the side of course. You are welcome to do the same.)
Sweet Pepper Polenta Egg Cup
- 1 sweet pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp cornmeal
- 4 Tbsp boiling water
- ½ cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Prepare the stuffing for the peppers by mixing together the cornmeal, cheese and water in a small bowl.
- Prepare the smoky mayo topping by mixing the smoked paprika into the mayonnaise.
- Prepare your pepper by slicing off the top, and then cutting vertically into 2 pieces. They won’t seem very cup-like yet, but the flatten out a bit when cooking.
- Place them facing down on a baking sheet, and place under the grill / broiler for about 5 minutes, until they are charred.
- You can then turn them over and stuff with the polenta mixture. Push them together on the pan to avoid the mixture spilling out onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200C / 390F
- Put the eggs on to poach and grill the tops of the peppers if you would like to to crisp them up.
- Assemble! Place the pepper on a plate and top with the poached egg and smoky mayo. Grind on some black pepper and you’re good to go.