A 5 ingredient, 15 minute dinner! This is the easiest black bean soup you’ll ever make, and the quick quesadilla dippers come together while it heats up. You just can’t go wrong with this easy, healthy dinner!
When I say “5 ingredient”, I am including both the black bean soup and the quesadilla dippers. 5 ingredients total. So quick. So easy.
You make the soup by putting 3 things in the blender- salsa, canned beans, and vegetable stock. Then while you heat it up you press a couple of folded tortillas stuffed with cheese. Done.
To make sure this soup is yummy, you need to use a good salsa. Buy your favorite salsa, as hot or mild as you like, as smoky or fresh as you like, because it’s where all the flavor is coming from. If you buy one of those weird ones that tastes like preservatives, that’s going to be all up in your soup. Personally, I like a fresh salsa from the refrigerated section to make this work. But it needn’t be fancy. Sainsbury’s own brand was fine.
You could of course garnish this with sour cream or yogurt, guacamole, anything you like. But you don’t have to. You may not have those ingredients to hand and that’s OK. Dipping your mini quesadillas into this soup will give you everything you need from a dinner.
Easy black bean soup with quesadilla dippers
Yield 2 servings
A 5 ingredient, 15 minute dinner! This is the easiest black bean soup you'll ever make, and the quick quesadilla dippers come together while it heats up. You just can't go wrong with this easy, healthy dinner!
This serves 2 - double for a bigger family!
- 1 14oz (400g) can of black beans
- 8oz (230g) of salsa
- 1 - 2 cups (235-470ml) of vegetable stock, depending on how thick you'd like your soup
- 2 small corn tortillas (taco sized)
- A handful of grated cheddar cheese
- Drain and rinse your black beans
- Put the beans, salsa and 1 cup of vegetable stock in a blender and blend until they are smooth (or leave it a little chunky if you prefer). Add extra vegetable stock to thin it out until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Pour into a saucepan and heat, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, fold your tortillas and stuff with grated cheese. Place in a non stick frying pan and press down with the spatula a little to encourage the cheese to melt. Once it starts melting, flip the quesadilla over and press down on the other side while it finishes. (You don't need any oil if your pan is non-stick but add some if you'd like it to be more crispy)
- Once the soup is fully heated, ladle into bowls and garnish with extra salsa or cheese if desired.
- Serve with the quesadillas on the side.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.7 g
Saturated Fat 5.7 g
Protein 24.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I got the idea for this soup, combining ready made salsa with canned beans and veggie stock, from a cookbook or a magazine… but now I can’t remember where I saw it and can’t find it in my collection of books. I will update if I ever figure out who it was!