Cool, creamy burrata cheese adds a touch of luxury to these nutritious and tasty vegetarian tacos packed with roasted vegetables. Made easily in the oven, this is a simple meatless dinner that can be customized to include your family’s favorite veggies.
This isn’t my first time using Italian cheese on tacos, and this fusion works surprisingly well! Burrata stands in where a crema might have been, but has a sweeter flavor to contrast against the smoky veggies. And the way it falls apart and melts into the veggies, well it’s kind of amazing.
Burrata can be pricey, so this isn’t going to be my most economical recipe, but if there’s a deal on or you just feel like treating yo’self, this is a fun way to get creative with it and experience it in a new way.
Which vegetables to use?
The base of these tacos is sweet, smoky roasted veggies. I go for mushrooms, sweet potato, peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes.
The cherry tomatoes are a great addition because they add some moisture and sweetness to the filling, which could otherwise be a little dry.
Don’t hesitate to do your own thing. Add your own favorite veggies to the batch or take out anything you don’t like. You just want to fill a big roasting dish with whatever veggies you like best.
How to make them
The veggies are coated with a very simple seasoning. Just smoked paprika, cumin and coriander. That’s all you need! You could of course use your own favorite taco seasoning.
I add the veggies in batches. The sweet potato needs a little longer to cook, so it gets a 10 minute head start while I prep the rest of the ingredients.
The rest of the veggies are added, and after another 25 minutes they are roasty toasty, and ready to be stuffed into your tacos…
… and then generously topped with yummy extras.
And dinner is served!
Is it Taco Tuesday yet?
If, like me, you’re something of a vegetarian taco fiend, please have a quick look at some of my other taco offerings:
- Black Bean & Kale Tacos or Kalette Tacos or Broccoli Tacos for extra green power.
- Lentil & Buffalo Mozzarella Tacos : another Italian – Mexican fusion delight.
- Oven Baked Crispy Potato Tacos for the carbiest carb lovers feast.
And you can see the full archive of Mexican inspired treats here.
Roasted Veggie Tacos with Burrata
- 8-10 small flour tortillas
Roasted Vegetable Filling
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 200 g (7 oz) sliced mushrooms (I used portabellini / baby bella)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- 125 g (4.4 oz) ball of burrata
- Guacamole or 1-2 sliced avocados
- Coriander / cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Prepare your sweet potato. In a bowl, toss the sweet potato chunks with a little olive oil and some of the seasoning. Scatter in a large roasting dish and place in the oven for 10 minutes until they’ve softened a little bit.
- Meanwhile, prep your mushroom, onion, pepper and cherry tomatoes. Place in a large bowl and toss with oil and the rest of the seasoning. Add to the sweet potatoes in the roasting dish. Replace in the oven for another 25 minutes.
- You can use this time to prepare your toppings and set the table.
- The tacos are ready when all the veggies are roasted and most of the liquid leached out from the mushrooms and tomatoes has been absorbed.
- Serve! Scoop the veggies onto a warm tortilla with a dollop of guacamole, a spoonful of burrata, a squeeze of lime and a scatter of fresh cilantro / coriander.
I didn’t have burrata so I used little marinated mozzarella balls instead, and topped the tacos with a vegan avocado aioli from https://ohsheglows.com/2014/10/15/crispy-smashed-potatoes-with-avocado-garlic-aioli/ and copped cilantro and OMG they were amazing!!! Thank you!
That sounds amazing, thanks so much for sharing!