Simply the best way I’ve found to make asparagus at home, quickly roasted in the air fryer with manchego (or parmesan) cheese and a drizzle of truffle oil (or squeeze of lemon). This side dish is easy to make and will be a definite crowd pleaser.
If, like me, you feel that roasted vegetables are always the best vegetables, then you are going to LOVE what your air fryer can do. Air fryers can churn out perfectly roasted vegetables in record speed, and this asparagus is a particularly great example.
Cooking asparagus in the air fryer is as simple as putting it in, gently brushed in oil, for about 4 minutes. But we can also have a little more fun with it and add some toppings if we wish. This recipe makes quite fancy asparagus topped with manchego and truffle oil, which is a fairly impressive side dish to pull off in mere minutes.
Ingredients for Amazing Air Fried Asparagus
- Asparagus – one bunch of asparagus that can fit in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Manchego cheese – I love manchego with asparagus but you could definitely go with a parmesan style cheese, or any hard cheese you wish.
- Truffle oil – very optional, but a tiny drizzle of truffle oil adds an extra richness to this asparagus that I love. Garlic oil would also be nice here.
- Other ideas – a squeeze of lemon juice, chili flakes, balsamic glaze.
- The thickness of your asparagus stalks will influence the cook time – mine were about right about 4 minutes, but add or subtract a minute if yours are thicker or smaller.
- You can cook the asparagus directly in the air fryer basket, or on a small baking tray / silicone mat that fits into your basket. I like to use a baking tray just to be sure we don’t lose any cheese through the grates of the basket. If you’re not using any cheese, there’s no particular reason to do this.
More Air Fryer Veggies
Air Fryer Asparagus with Cheese & Truffle Oil
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1-2 tsp olive oil, for brushing
- 2 tbsp grated manchego, or other hard cheese such as parmesan
- drizzle truffle oil
- salt, pepper, chili flakes, to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C / 390F. Meanwhile, brush your asparagus with a very light coating of olive oil.
- Place in the air fryer and sprinkle with cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Air fry for approxomately four minutes, until the cheese is browning and the asparagus is bright green and has reduced a little. Drizzle very lightly with truffle oil and serve immediately.