A pesto drenched caprese pita pizza which can be put together in 15 minutes! A fresh, healthy and extra tasty vegetarian lunch or snack!
Pita pizzas are a quick, easy and brilliant snack or light meal. Does the pizza base fool anyone? No! Does that matter? Nah.
Our approach today is a caprese style pizza, so there’s no tomato sauce needed, just tomatoes and mozzarella and then we top it off with some tasty chive pesto.
How to get this on the table in 15 minutes:
Be quick! Be decisive! And maybe have an oven that preheats quickly…
- The first 5 minutes you’ll spend preheating your oven while chopping the tomatoes and mozzarella and putting them on the pitas.
- The next 10 minutes you’ll spend preparing the pesto while the pizzas are in the oven.
- Using a really high quality mozzarella will pay off in this recipe. With so few ingredients, each has a chance to shine. So if you have the budget for it, go ahead and do that! But it’s not essential. I used a cheaper store brand mozzarella today, and it was still amazing.
- You can make this ridiculously easy by using a jarred pesto (do try to find a wild garlic or chive one if you can!), though making it from scratch is quite lovely. And it does get a chance to shine, because the pizza base is so simple.
- A naan base would work too, especially if you want make a bigger size.
- If you’re digging the caprese pizza concept but actually have a little more time – head on over to my caprese pizza with buttermilk crust recipe and do this thing proper.
Side Salad Suggestions
You can make a full dinner out of this by serving alongside a big salad. Make the salad before the pizzas, while the oven is pre-heating, and it’s still going to be a fairly quick dinner.
- I’m definitely feeling that a huge mound of this Chopped Italian Salad from Love & Lemons would do the trick.
- A little scoop of my Green Olive Grain Salad would also be super nice.
- Or maaaybe some Roasted Chickpea & Halloumi Salad?
- I think a warm kale based salad such as this Warm Cavolo Nero Salad or this Roasted Kale Caesar Salad with Chickpeas & Avocado would also be a wise, substantial choice.
Caprese Pita Pizzas
- 4 pitas
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 250 g (9 oz) fresh mozzarella
- A handful of chives
- A handful of basil leaves
- 4 Tbsp pine nuts
- 4 Tbsp parmesan, or other hard Italian cheese
- 1 small garlic clove
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 120 ml (0.5 cups) extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C / 390F.
- Meanwhile, slice the cherry tomatoes into thirds and roughly chop your mozzarella.
- Assemble the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella on top of the pita bread.
- Place on a baking tray, and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your pesto by blitzing all of the ingredients in a small food processor.
- When the pizzas are ready, spoon the pesto on top and serve.